Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lincoln's Birth Story

Thursday April 16th (38 weeks 3 days) I went to the doctor, my mom met Andrew and I there. I had gained one pound (total weight during pregnancy - 39 pounds). I was hooked up to the machine and was having some contractions but nothing major. Dr. Naegele checked me and I was at 4 cm. (That was very painful!) He told us to go get something to eat and walk. We went to McDonald's for breakfast and then to the mall to walk for an hour. We walked fast! When we got back to the doctor I was hooked back up to the machine and then checked again. I was at 5 cm! (very painful) I couldn't believe I was 5 cm and wasn't feeling anything. Dr. Naegele then wrote up my admission to the hospital. He wrote on the order that I was in active labor and I could have an epidural any time I wanted. I couldn't believe this because I felt normal. We got everything out of the car, I called work and a couple friends and walked over to be admitted. I was admitted around 12:30. My mom and Andrew had to wait while I got an IV and all set up. The nurse had to do the IV twice which wasn't very fun. Andrew and my Mom finally came int the room probably a little after 1. Andrew's mom came down to the hospital as well as Daddy, Corey, Momaw and Popaw after Joey's funeral. At 2 o'clock Dr. Naegele came in and I was 5-6 cm and he broke my water. It didn't hurt at all. Barbara and my mom was in the room for this, Andrew was out of the room getting something to eat. I still wasn't feeling anything. They started the pitocin drip. My nurse came in at 3 and I was 6-7 cm dilated. I started feeling some pain at this point. At 3:45 I decided to request an epidural. The nurse was really talking me into it, I think I could have gone longer without it. The anesthesiologist came in around 4. I ended up having to get the epidural done twice because only my right side was numb and both pumps they tried was broke. Finally around 5 my left side started to feel numb. At 6:45 I was dilated to 10 and 100% effaced. The nurse lifted the bed up to where I was sitting straight up to get the baby to drop. I was in a lot of pain and I think I could feel almost everything. Around 7:45 I told Andrew and my mom I had to push now and Andrew called for the nurse. The nurse came in and I started pushing at every contraction. They didn't have to tell me when to push I just knew when too. Andrew and my mom were holding my legs which was a big help! The nurse called out to the desk to have Momaw come in the room. The called for the baby delivery team and the doctor. He came in about 10 minutes before the baby was born. After 36 minutes of pushing Andrew announced we had a boy! Momaw rushed in the room as soon as Andrew announced he was a boy. We couldn't believe Baby Johnson was a boy! It was the biggest surprise of our life so far. I couldn't have done it without Andrew and my mom. They helped me through contractions and held my legs while I pushed! I feed Lincoln and after everything was cleaned up. Then my Dad, Corey, Popaw, Momaw Starcher, Barbara and John came into the room and Andrew announced we had a "Lincoln Willis Johnson".

No comments: